Seven lawyers from Gross Shuman P.C. were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020. Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers has become universally regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence. Because Best Lawyers is based on an exhaustive peer-review survey in which more than 83,000 leading attorneys are eligible to vote and provided almost 10 evaluations on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their practice areas, and because lawyers are not required or allowed to pay a fee to be listed, inclusion in Best Lawyers is considered a singular honor.
The following Gross Shuman attorneys have earned the 2020 honor:
• David H. Alexander – Corporate Law, Litigation Trusts & Estates, Trusts & Estates. Mr. Alexander has been with Gross Shuman since 1972. He practices law in New York and Florida and serves as a foreign legal consultant in Ontario, Canada. In addition to estate planning, his areas of practice include business counseling, corporate law, securities regulation, and international taxation. He frequently assists Canadian and other international companies with the establishment of United States subsidiaries and in their conduct of business in the United States.
• Hugh C. Carlin – Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment. Mr. Carlin's extensive experience in the area of employment and labor law includes representing employers in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies in connection with claims asserted against them for discrimination, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour violations. Mr. Carlin is an active speaker and counsels employers on workplace issues related to unfair competition, restrictive covenants, workplace technology, social media, and diversity.
• Howard B. Cohen – Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs. Mr. Cohen’s practice is limited to the prosecution of substantial personal injury accident claims involving automobile accidents, wrongful death claims, construction and labor law, fall down cases; and substantial fire insurance, construction and securities litigation claims at trial. He also teaches trial techniques as an adjunct professor at the SUNY Buffalo School of Law.
• David H. Elibol – Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs. Mr. Elibol, with Gross Shuman since 1998, focuses his legal practice on personal injury and business litigation. He has successfully represented individuals and businesses in jury and non-jury trials, and in other proceedings in both state and federal courts.
• Robert J. Feldman – Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law. An attorney at Gross Shuman for more than 40 years, Mr. Feldman’s practice is devoted principally to the areas of corporate and business bankruptcy law, commercial litigation, general business representation, and education law. He has extensive experience representing debtors, creditors and creditors committees, and bankruptcy trustees in Bankruptcy Court.
• Jeffrey A. Human – Corporate Law. Mr. Human practices in the areas of business, corporate, tax and securities law. For nearly 40 years, he has counseled and represented clients in connection with forming businesses and business transactions including both purchasing and selling businesses.
• Jonathan D. Schechter – Real Estate Law and Tax Law. Mr. Schechter’s practice areas include business counseling and corporate law, commercial real estate and financing, estates, trusts, taxation and cross-border and business tax planning. After earning a Masters of Tax Law from Boston University School of Law, Schechter has been able to represent both publicly traded and closely held businesses.