Buffalo, NY – Gross Shuman P.C. announced today that nine of its attorneys have been named to the 2017 Upstate New York Super Lawyers Upstate list and three were named to 2017 Upstate New York Rising Stars list. Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The annual selections are made using a patented multiphase process that includes a statewide survey of lawyers, an independent research evaluation of candidates and peer reviews by practice area. The result is a credible, comprehensive and diverse listing of exceptional attorneys. The Super Lawyers list recognizes no more than five percent of attorneys in each state. The Rising Stars list recognizes no more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in each state.
The following Gross Shuman attorneys have been named to the 2017 Upstate New York Super Lawyers list:
• David H. Alexander – Mr. Alexander has been with Gross Shuman since 1972. In addition to estate planning, his areas of practice include business counseling, corporate law, securities regulation, and taxation. He frequently assists New York, Florida, and international companies with the establishment of United States subsidiaries and in their conduct of business in the United States.
• Hugh C. Carlin – Mr. Carlin's extensive experience in the area of employment and labor law includes representing employers in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies in connection with claims asserted against them for discrimination, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour violations. Mr. Carlin is an active speaker and counsels employers on workplace issues related to unfair competition, restrictive covenants, workplace technology, social media, and diversity.
• Howard B. Cohen – Mr. Cohen concentrates his trial practice on the prosecution of substantial personal injury accident claims involving automobile accidents, wrongful death claims, construction and labor law, fire insurance, construction and securities litigation claims at trial. He also instructs Trial Technique courses as an Adjunct Professor at the SUNY Buffalo School of Law.
• David H. Elibol – Mr. Elibol, with Gross Shuman since 1998, focuses his legal practice on personal injury and business litigation. He has successfully represented individuals and businesses in jury and non-jury trials, and in other proceedings in both state and federal courts.
• Robert J. Feldman – An attorney at Gross Shuman for more than 40 years, Mr. Feldman’s practice is devoted principally to the areas of corporate and business bankruptcy law, commercial litigation, general business representation, and education law. He has extensive experience representing debtors, creditors and creditors committees in Bankruptcy Court.
• Harry J. Forrest – Mr. Forrest focuses his legal practice on personal injury claims involving motor vehicle collisions, construction site accidents, fall down accidents, wrongful death and long term disability insurance. He has successfully handled cases in both federal and state courts and has tried cases to verdict involving claims for personal injury, property damage, contract disputes and constitutional civil rights violations. He has been with Gross Shuman since 1999.
• Jeffrey A. Human – Mr. Human practices in the areas of business, corporate, tax and securities law. For nearly 40 years, he has counseled and represented clients in connection with forming businesses and business transactions including both purchasing and selling businesses.
• Jonathan D. Schechter – Mr. Schechter’s practice areas include business counseling and corporate law, commercial real estate and financing, estates, trusts, taxation and cross-border and business tax planning. After earning a Masters of Tax Law from Boston University School of Law, Schechter has been able to represent both publicly traded and closely-held businesses.
• Trevor M. Torcello – Mr. Torcello concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, corporate law, employment law, agribusiness and commercial real estate. He provides counseling on a number of current technology-driven issues including social media in the workplace, and in the retention and preservation of electronically stored documents.
The following Gross Shuman attorneys have been named Upstate New York Rising Stars 2017:
• Thomas M. Gordon – Mr. Gordon provides practical counsel and solutions to businesses at all stages from initial formation and set-up, to succession planning and profitable sale. He focuses his practice in the areas of corporate, cross-border and securities law but also assist clients in the areas of estate planning and commercial real estate and financing.
• Katherine M. Liebner - Ms. Liebner engages in extensive litigation, concentrating her practice in the areas of business and commercial litigation, employment law, contract disputes, insurance coverage disputes, and personal injury actions.
• Sarah P. Rera – An experienced litigation attorney, Ms. Rera focuses her practice in areas of personal injury and business litigation. She has served as trial counsel in multiple motor vehicle personal injury claims in New York State Supreme Court, receiving numerous successful verdicts for her clients.
For more information about Super Lawyers, visit superlawyers.com.
For more than fifty years, individuals and businesses have trusted Gross Shuman P.C. with their legal needs. The firm has 18 attorneys that focus in the following areas: Business & Commercial Litigation; Employment Law & Litigation; Commercial Real Estate; Cross-Border (Canada & U.S.); Business Organization & Counseling; Estates, Wills & Trusts; and Personal Injury. Gross Shuman has offices in Buffalo, Williamsville, and Burlington, Ontario.