Gross Shuman P.C. announced today that 12 of its attorneys have been named to the 2021 Upstate New York Super Lawyers list and four were named to the 2021 Upstate New York Rising Stars list.
Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The annual selections are made using a patented multiphase process that includes a statewide survey of lawyers, an independent research evaluation of candidates and peer reviews by practice area. The result is a credible, comprehensive and diverse listing of exceptional attorneys. The Super Lawyers list recognizes no more than five percent of attorneys in each state. The Rising Stars list recognizes no more than 2.5 percent of attorneys in each state.
The following Gross Shuman attorneys have been named to the 2021 Upstate New York Super Lawyers list:
- David H. Alexander – Mr. Alexander has been with Gross Shuman since 1972. He practices law in New York and Florida and serves as a foreign legal consultant in Ontario, Canada. In addition to estate planning, his areas of practice include business counseling, corporate law, securities regulation, and international taxation. He frequently assists Canadian and other international companies with the establishment of United States subsidiaries and in their conduct of business in the United States.
- Hugh C. Carlin – Mr. Carlin's extensive experience in the area of employment and labor law includes representing employers in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies in connection with claims asserted against them for discrimination, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour violations. Mr. Carlin is an active speaker and counsels employers on workplace issues related to unfair competition, restrictive covenants, workplace technology, social media, and diversity.
- Howard B. Cohen – Mr. Cohen’s practice is limited to the prosecution of substantial personal injury accident claims involving automobile accidents, wrongful death claims, construction and labor law, fall down cases; and substantial fire insurance, construction and securities litigation claims at trial. He also teaches trial techniques as an adjunct professor at the SUNY Buffalo School of Law.
- David H. Elibol – In addition to being the Managing Attorney of Gross Shuman P.C., Mr. Elibol focuses his practice on business and personal injury litigation including, shareholder disputes, business divorce, contract disputes, motor vehicle accidents, construction accidents, and wrongful death. He has successfully represented individuals and businesses in jury and non-jury trials and in other proceedings in both state and federal court.
- Robert J. Feldman – An attorney at Gross Shuman for more than 40 years, Mr. Feldman’s practice is devoted principally to the areas of corporate and business bankruptcy law, commercial litigation, general business representation, and education law. He has extensive experience representing debtors, creditors and creditors’ committees in Bankruptcy Court.
- Harry J. Forrest – Mr. Forrest focuses his legal practice on personal injury claims involving motor vehicle collisions, construction site accidents, fall-down accidents, wrongful death and long term disability insurance. He has successfully handled cases in both federal and state courts and has tried cases to verdict involving claims for personal injury, property damage, contract disputes and constitutional civil rights violations. He has been with Gross Shuman since 1999.
- Jeffrey A. Human – Mr. Human practices in the areas of business, corporate, tax and securities law. For nearly 40 years, he has counseled and represented clients in connection with forming businesses and business transactions including both purchasing and selling businesses.
- Scott M. Philbin – Mr. Philbin is a litigation attorney handling a broad array of business and commercial matters at the trial and appellate levels in both state and federal court. He routinely represents corporations, insurers and financial institutions in issues relating to breach of contract, the leasing of heavy construction equipment, enforcement of non-compete agreements, banking litigation, investor claims and commercial paper disputes.
- John K. Rottaris – Mr. Rottaris concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial and business litigation, creditors’ rights, commercial collections, landlord-tenant law, bankruptcy law and tax certiorari. He also represents manufacturers and manufacturers’ sales representatives in commission and contract dispute
- Jonathan D. Schechter – Mr. Schechter’s practice areas include business counseling and corporate law, commercial real estate and financing, estates, trusts, taxation and cross-border and business tax planning. After earning a Masters of Tax Law from Boston University School of Law, Schechter has been able to represent both publicly traded and closely-held businesses.
- Charles C. Swanekamp – Mr. Swanekamp focuses his practice in the areas of business law, commercial litigation, and the defense of accountants and attorneys in disciplinary and malpractice matters. In addition to professional responsibility matters, his litigation practice includes business valuation for closely held corporations, shareholder disputes, securities litigation, contractual disputes and trademark and copyright litigation. Mr. Swanekamp has a wealth of experience representing clients in litigation matters before tribunals, regulatory bodies and disciplinary committees.
- Trevor M. Torcello – Mr. Torcello focuses his practice in the areas of commercial real estate, business transactions, agribusiness and working with emerging businesses. He brings a unique blend of legal experience and business acumen to every matter he handles and has extensive experience representing various parties in complex business transactions. Trevor has a broad background in civil litigation, mediation, and arbitration in handling disputes between businesses. He provides counseling to businesses on a number of current technology-driven issues, including addressing the use of technology and social media in the workplace.
The following Gross Shuman attorneys have been named to the Upstate New York Rising Stars List for 2021:
- Nicholas J. Ingrassia – Mr. Ingrassia concentrates his law practice in the areas of Real Estate and Development, Banking and Finance, and Business and Corporate Law. Mr. Ingrassia also has extensive experience assisting clients with Estate Planning & Administration, and Canada-U. S. Cross Border legal issues. He is admitted to practice in New York State and as a Foreign Legal Consultant in Ontario, Canada.
- Kevin R. Lelonek – Mr. Lelonek joined Gross Shuman P.C. in 2017. He provides counsel to clients in the areas of business bankruptcy and reorganization as well as commercial and business litigation
- Katherine M. Liebner - Ms. Liebner concentrates her practice in the areas of estate planning, estate and trust administration, business litigation and labor and employment law. In addition to her New York practice, Ms. Liebner is also admitted in Florida.
- Sarah P. Rera – Ms. Rera focuses her practice in areas of personal injury and litigation. She has served as trial counsel in multiple motor vehicle personal injury claims in New York State Supreme Court, securing numerous successful verdicts for her clients. Ms. Rera is a frequent lecturer on issues of ethics and serves as Education Director of the Charles S. Desmond Inn of Court, as a Director of the Western New York Trial Lawyers Association and as a member of the Erie County Bar Association Young Lawyers Committee’s Executive Counsel
For more information about Super Lawyers, go to superlawyers.com.